NATIONAL RESEARCH FOUNDATION
- R Undisclosed
- Permanent Specialist position
- Braamfontein (Braampark), Gauteng
- Posted 05 Jun 2023 by National Research Foundation
- Expires in 9 days
- Job 2521383 – Ref 418
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Tandem and Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (TAMS) Laboratory is iThemba LABS’ laboratory for Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (AMS), Ion Beam Analysis (IBA), and low-energy nuclear reactions and astrophysics studies. TAMS is located in Parktown, Johannesburg, and has about Thirty (30) staff covering the areas of AMS, IBA, Accelerator technology, and support functions. The flagship research platforms of the TAMS Lab includes a 6 MV Tandem Accelerator with a low energy Injection and analysis systems for AMS measurements of 14C, 10Be, and 26Al; a nuclear microprobe and a spectrometer for heavy ion elastic recoil detection analysis (ERDA); ion implanters (Varion-Extrion 350D/300XP and Varian 200-20A); a low-energy nuclear-reaction set-up; and an environmental radiation laboratory.
- Leadership roleStrategic leadership of the TAMS Lab and its positioning nationally and internationally at the cutting edge technically and scientificallyLeadership of the scientific directions and research programming at the TAMS Lab Overall leadership of staff at the TAMS Laboratory to maintain excellent levels of productivity and monitoring of the workload of functional areas and overall quality of work as well as attraction and management of talent across the functional areas
- Conceptualization, initiation and hosting of national and international scientific & technical meetings in the fields of specialization of the TAMS LabLeading stakeholder engagement and management for all users, clients and beneficiaries of scientific/technical services of TAMS Lab Taking responsibility for an effective leadership of the interface between TAMS Lab and the rest of the iThemba LABS operational environmentManagement roleManagement of research infrastructure platforms at the cutting edge nationally and internationally, including holistic life cycle managementDefinition and maintenance of standards and protocols for research infrastructure access and provisionManagement of service excellence in the provision of scientific services by the TAMS Lab Managing the laboratory’s day to day operational budget including capital resource allocations across different sections of the laboratory in line with NRF planning cycles and financial policiesManaging staff provisioning and staff succession planning in line with NRF:iThemba LABS institutional equity targets and policiesOverseeing the management of post-graduate students supervised/co-supervised by staffManagement of safety, health and environmental functions within the TAMS Lab in line with statutory requirements and NRF Policies and procedures
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory framework governing supply chain management, and in line with NRF policies and proceduresRepresenting the general interest of the TAMS Laboratory at iThemba LABS management and at other relevant strategic platforms
- Doctoral Degree / NQF 10
- 8-8 years
- (Experimental Physics/Nuclear Physics or Material Science) Track record of leading research projects to successful completion
- At least 8 years post-doctoral research experience in a scientific area relevant to the TAMS Lab Utilization, development and/or commissioning of experimental research facilities in the field of Nuclear Physics, Ion Beam Analysis or Accelerator Mass SpectrometryAccelerator-based ion beam analytical techniques and materials characterization tools OR Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (AMS) techniques will be a recommendation A record of work in nuclear Physics, Materials Research OR Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (AMS) published in internationally reputable scientific journalsLeadership of research projects and programmesSection, departmental or research group leadership Experience in building and managing professional, academic and research relationships, collaborations and partnershipsExperience in human resource management of skilled personnel or coordination of activities of same
- Demonstrable ability to establish local and international research networksGood communication skills (verbal, presentation and written)Ability to craft strategic plans for Research, Development and InnovationCapacity to manage a diverse team of research scientists and technologistsDemonstrated ability and success in writing of grant proposals for competitive research fundingAn efficient leader and facilitatorDemonstrable capacity to supervise/co-supervise post-graduate research students in collaboration with HEI ‘s (Higher Education Institutions)High work standard and ethical orientations
The NRF website provides more details on the initiatives and activities
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by registering and apply online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications should be accompanied by a letter of motivation indicating the applicant·s suitability for the position.
The names and contact details of at least three referees should be provided.
- Skilled in applied field of position
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in performing duties
About The Employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of National Research Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and humanities.
iThemba LABS is Africa’s leading research facility for accelerator-based science that is committed to advance knowledge, transforming lives and, inspiring the nation through probing fundamental structure and the origins of matter; Advancing the understanding of condensed matter, Impacting the Societal need through provision for the health and environmental sector.