A vacancy exists in the Industrial Watertube Boiler Division for an Engineering Manager. The position will report to the GM: Industrial Watertube Boiler Business Unit. The vacancy requires a person who has initiative and drive and can work under pressure. The Engineering Manager is responsible for managing mechanical, electrical, commissioning engineers and technicians responsible for the design and implementation of several major boiler projects simultaneously. The position will involve travel locally and internationally, especially in Africa and Southeast Asia.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Co-ordinate the engineering and design requirements of the department.
• Assess the input required in specific engineering tasks and distribute to the appropriate levels of execution.
• Give guidelines with regard to acceptable solutions.
• Implement key standards and documentation required for ISO certification and client focussed documentation.
• Approve final designs.
• Ensure that the right people are given the right tasks.
• Monitor progress of tasks in the engineering department.
• Plan required engineering resources.
• Ensure adequate training where required.
• Generate and monitoring yearly budget for the engineering department.
• Technical support.
• Oversee the design.
• Oversee the compilation of the technical part of tender documents for major projects.
• Technically advise on selling strategies.
• Attend meetings as and when required.
• Site visits as and when required.
• Technical discussions with customers.
• Effective communication with customers by telephone, e-mail or report writing.
• Prepare and give technical presentations.
• Liaise with universities, and specialised companies on special projects.
Desired Experience & Qualification
• BTech in Mechanical Engineering or honours degree in Mechanical/Mechatronic Engineering would be advantageous.
• Have a better than average academic record, especially in the fields of Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer and Stress Analysis.
• Minimum 8 to 10 years relevant industry experience and in-depth knowledge of the industry and its current events and trends.
• Management experience will be advantageous.
• Good technical understanding of IWTB products and services.
• Have an appreciation of the commercial aspects of engineering contracts.